“iF3, the Cannes of the ski world!” – ESPN.com
The International Freeski Film Festival (iF3) was created in 2007 as a result of a common idea shared by passionate ski industry veterans Felix Rioux, Doug Bishop, and JF Durocher. The idea was to create a film festival dedicated to screening freeskiing movies and expanding ski culture to new levels.
iF3 stemmed from the need to unite all elements that compose freeski culture in one place, including ski cinematography, producers, athletes, photography, brands, music, art and parties.
Currently iF3 is the biggest gathering of independent movie producers in skiing and draws producers, athletes, and event attendees from 20+ countries. Both fan participation and video submission has increased every year since the event’s inception. Since the first edition of iF3, the roster has grown from 11 professional and 5 amateur entries to over 35 professional and amateur films, shorts, documentaries, and webisodes in 2011. In addition to expanding the film roster, iF3 progressively added initiatives such as the outdoor movie screenings, a European installment of the festival in Annecy, France in 2010 that introduced a photography exhibit, and the largest ski Autograph Session ever at Oberson Ski Shop in 2011.
“iF3 and its long list of powerhouse sponsors are reflections of a sport that is the fastest rising in skiing.” – Montreal Gazette
The Festival has come along way since 2007 and the progression is yet to end. New events and initiatives are being added to the 2012 festival. That being said, our core focus remains the same: to unite and promote all aspects of freeskiing, and to honour and celebrate the producers, photographers, athletes and everyone else that contributes to the constant progression of the ski industry.
- 10th edition of iF3 Montreal
- iF3 Chile Tour & Sweden Tour
- Snowboarding is including in the festival
- Movie Awards are 50/50 ski and snowboard
- iF3 Montreal had a break
- Expansion to Stockholm
- Last “Rocker Party”
- JP Auclair Tribute Fundraiser
- Expansion to La Hague (Netherlands), London (UK) and New-Zealand
- Expansion to Whistler, Denver, and Japan
- Creation of iF3 VideoQuest
- Creation of iF3 Ambassador Program
- Introduction of the iF3 Outdoor Village
- iF3 moves to a new theatre, the historic Monument National
- First Girls iF3 Movie Screening!
- iF3 introduces the Red Bull Sean Petit Rocker Party.
- iF3 screens its first fictional film, “2 Frogs in the west”
- iF3 hosts members for the newly announced 2014 Olympic slopestyle and halfpipe teams.
- iF3 adds the Oberson Pro Autograph session (the biggest pro skier autograph session ever!)
- iF3 wins “Best Event or Competiton of the Year” at Quebec’s Gala Maestro.
- iF3 On The Road: iF3 stops in Toronto and Vancouver for a Lights Festival Edition.
- “New Media” Category is added to “Pro”, “Am” and “Open” Categories.
- The first ever iF3 Europe takes place in Annecy, France.
- MTV Recap with Tom Dolezel
- “Open” Category is added to “Pro” and “Am” Categories.
- The First annual The North Face Outdoor Screening
- Ski Legend JF Cussons hosts the “JF Cusson Invitational” golf tournament
- To celebrate the 10-year anniversary of its release, iF3 reunited Salomon’s legendary 1080 team that skied on the first ever 1080 twin-tip created by Salomon.
- Tanner Hall hosts the first installment of the iF3 “Massive” Reggae Party
- iF3 is created
- Glen Plake, living legend and ski film star visits Montreal for the first Edition